The following discussion took place at the August 24, 2016 meeting of the Instructional Planning Council:
- Interim VP Sourbeer welcomed the group and introductions followed. He then called for comments from constituencies. There were none at this time.
- Interim VP Sourbeer gave a presentation on IPC roles and responsibilities emphasizing the need for constant communication between representatives and their constituency group. He discussed IPCs role in the development, implementation, evaluation and revision to college plans and the program review and planning process. In addition, he described how IPCs goals relate to Strategic Planning Council (SPC) and shared the 5 goals identified by them for focus this year (though not yet finalized), as follows:
Goal 1: Implement instructional strategies that strengthen and connect teaching and learning across the college.
Goal 2: Strengthen efforts to improve outreach, persistence, and student success.
Goal 3: Strengthen the college’s message to our community.
Goal 4: Maintain and support a diverse workforce.
Goal 5: Ensure the fiscal stability of the college and increase enrollments.
- Interim VP Sourbeer indicated the importance that members maintain a global view and encourage conversation as they serve as a conduit of information to and from the division or constituency group they represent. He asked that members promote the use of the Comet Information Exchange (CIE) https://www.palomar.edu/cie/ to increase awareness and encourage participation. Michelle Barton suggested adding other members to the CIE team to make sure all constituencies were represented.
- Interim VP Sourbeer explained the factors that contribute to how the college is funded. Some calculations have changed due to the conversion to a compressed calendar. He further detailed the status of the college, which is in the second year of stability funding (a 3-year process). It is imperative that the college make changes now to grow enrollment before our baseline funding is re-benched at the end of FY 17-18.
- Interim VP Sourbeer discussed how everyone is part of the team when it comes to enrollment management. He shared that enrollment is down due to several factors including improved economy, loss of community involvement, changes in repeatability, etc. The college needs to schedule to serve our students and community. Growth can be achieved through many avenues, including concurrent enrollment, targeted classes/programs for the military, distance education, and creation/expansion of programs and opportunities with the Career Technical and Extended Education (CTEE) areas. The South Center will also offer growth to the District, but not in time to impact the re-benching of our baseline funding. Therefore, the other opportunities for growth need to be addressed immediately. We need to serve our community now.
- Interim VP Sourbeer briefly discussed the Faculty Obligation Number (FON). Because our enrollment numbers are down, it is unlikely the college will be hiring faculty from the general fund this year, unless required for program accreditation purposes.
- Discussions regarding accreditation and PRP forms were pushed to the next IPC meeting.
Full meeting minutes, once approved, can be found at the Instructional Planning Council Website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ipc/