Student Success and Equity Council
The following action and discussion took place at the April 22, 2016 meeting of the Student Success and Equity Council:
- Approval of Minutes for April 8, 2016:
MSC – (Sivert/Barton): The minutes for April 8, 2016 were approved and accepted into the record with an abstention from Veronica Aguilera.
- Wendy Nelson and Katy Farrell reported on the Integrating Cultural Competency into Instruction, Assignments and Assessment Workshop held on April 15-16, 2016 at San Diego City College.
- The proposed SSEC schedule for AY 2016-17 was discussed. There was a suggestion to add a meeting on November 18, 2016 since there will be no other meeting dates in November 2016 due to scheduled holidays.
- Olga Diaz led the discussion on the SSEC activity for summer 2016. There was a consensus among the Council to hold one, four-hour meeting in mid-July 2016.
- The books Redesigning America’s Community Colleges – A Clearer Path to Student Success were handed out to Council members and there was consensus among the Council to have the first two chapters read by August 26, 2016.
- Workgroups – Confer and Report Out:
- Access & Outreach – Nancy Moreno reported that they are developing an institutional mission statement for the Veteran’s department.
- Retention – Nancy Moreno reported that they are planning workshops for the Week of Welcome (WOW) which will be held August 15 – 18, 2016.
- Student Pathways – Acting Dean of Counseling Services, Dr. Glyn Bongolan reported they are defining the vision and goal for the pathway project. They will be sharing this information with the campus and presenting it at Plenary in the fall 2016.
ACTION ITEMS/SECOND READING:
- Add Manager of Orientation and Follow-up Services to the SSEC Membership:
Motion: MSC (Barton/Sivert): A motion was made to add the Manager of Orientation and Follow-up Services to the SSEC membership.
Result: Motion approved.
Additional information can be found at the Student Success and Equity Council Website: http://www2.palomar.edu/pages/ssec/