Counseling Links:

Counseling Appointments
Steps to Enroll
General Education Patterns
Majors and Certificates
Parent Information
Student Resources
Student Success Tips
Counseling Classes
Location & Hours



Frequently Asked Questions
Counseling FAQs:
  1. Who can attend Palomar College?
  2. When do classes start?
  3. When do I register for classes?
  4. I want to enroll, what should I do?
  5. How long do I need to be a resident of California before I qualify for the in-state enrollment fee?
  6. How much does it  cost to attend Palomar?
  7. How do I pay my fees?
  8. How do I add or drop a class?
  9. Can I get a refund for classes I drop?
  10. What is "crashing" a class?
  11. If I miss the first class meeting, will I be dropped from the class?
  12. How do I get my transcripts?
  13. Can I take a class for credit/no credit (aka pass/no pass)?
  14. Can I repeat a class?
  15. What is a full-time student?
  16. I still have questions.  What do I do?
FAQs for other Areas:
Frequently Used Forms:

For more forms and petitions, go to the Admissions Forms page.

Who can attend Palomar College?

  • a high school graduate or equivalent
  • anyone (including non-high school graduates) 18 years of age or older
  • a minor who may profit from instruction and has permission of the local high school district and a parent or guardian.  Students under 15 years of age are restricted to courses designed for children.  Permission to enroll in other classes rests with the instructor.  Some programs have limited admission or have additional academic or skill requirements.  Please print the Approval for K-12 student/Graduation Verification of Minor form and instructions for each semester and submit with application to Admissions.

    Back to top
When do classes start?

Palomar is on the semester system and offers class in the Fall, Spring, and Summer.  In addition to that, Palomar offers late start classes during the semester.  For more details, check the Academic Calendar and the current schedules for specific dates.

Back to top

When do I register for classes?

Online registration appointments are provided to students after their application is processed.  Check your eServices account for your registration time. You may enroll anytime after your scheduled appointment. Students who have attended Palomar College but have missed 1 or more semesters (excluding summer) will need to reapply to Palomar in order to obtain a current registration appointment. 

Back to top

I want to enroll, what should I do?

Go to the Steps to Enroll web page for information on enrolling. Use eServices to enroll in classes.  For specific steps on how to use eServices, view the Student eServices Tutorials available in the Instructions box of eServices.

Back to top

How long do I need to be a resident of California before I qualify for the in-state enrollment fee?

One needs to be a resident of California for one year prior to the residency determination date which is the day before classes begin.  In addition to residency, one has to show intent to make California a place of residency. Please visit Admissions-Residency to find the specifics for details and special residency rules.

Back to top

How much does it cost to attend Palomar ?

There’s a $46 per unit enrollment fee for all California residents.  This fee is subject to change.  If the enrollment fee is increased by State Law after registration has begun, you will be required to pay the difference for all classes on your schedule at that time. 


Please see the Tuition and Fees Schedule for further explanation about the costs associated with attending Palomar.

Back to top

How do I pay fees?

Palomar college accepts payment by check, money order, VISA, Mastercard, Discover, and AMEX.  Checks are limited to the amount of total fees and are made payable to Palomar College.  Payments are not accepted at other Palomar College locations.  Cash payments are made at your own risk!

Student eServices
You may pay by credit card in  eServices

Mail-in Payment
Mail to: Palomar College
1140 W. Mission Rd
San Marcos, CA 92069
Attn: Cashier
Cashier's Office, Admin Bldg
San Marcos Campus OR
Escondido Education Center

Back to top

How do I add or drop a class?

To add courses to your schedule, click on Enroll in your Student Center through eServices.  Use the 5- digit identification code for the class you want to add.  You must obtain a permission number from the faculty member after the first week of classes, or if you are waitlisted, or if the class is closed.

To drop a class, select Enroll in your Student Center through eServices and click on the Drop tab. All students are expected to attend classes.  Failure to attend class can result in an “F” or “FW” grade, unless the student processes a drop before the W deadline.

Dropping classes is the student's responsibility.  At the same time, making sure that one is not dropped from a class is also the student's responsibility.

Summer Add/Drop timetable

Fall Add/Drop timetable

Spring Add/Drop timetable

Back to top

Can I get a refund for classes I drop?

Classes must be dropped within the first two weeks of the semester to qualify for a refund or waiver. No refunds or waivers will be granted for drops after the drop date deadline, unless the class is cancelled by the College or if a verified processing error by the College occurred.


There is no prorated refund schedule.  Not attending classes does not warrant a refund or waiver of fees. It is the student's responsibility to drop classes by the refund/waiver deadline or incur the fees.  Refunds will be processed periodically beginning the fourth week of the semester.


If payment was made by credit card, the refund will be credited back to the credit card used. If payment was made by cash or check, the refund check will be mailed to the student’s address of record. Refunds cannot be carried forward for credit to the next semester registration. Refunds are processed after all fees or obligations owed to the College are met.

Go to the Refund Policy and Deadlines web page for specific details.

Back to top

What is crashing a class?

If a class is full, and the waitlist is full or unavailable, you will have to "crash" the class. In order to crash a closed class (all spaces in the class are filled), you must attend the first class meeting. Let the instructor know you are not enrolled and wish to "crash" the class. If there are no-shows (enrolled students who don't claim their seats) or withdrawals (enrolled students who decide the class is not what they want), you may be allowed to enroll.  There are no guarantees on whether or not a student will be successful in crashing a class.  Fore more on waitlists and permission codes, click here.

Back to top

Will I be dropped from class if I miss the first class meeting?

If the class is closed and has students waiting to crash, it is likely the instructor will drop you from class. If your absence is unavoidable and you are able to contact the instructor before class, you should do so by e-mail and telephone. It is at the discretion of the instructor whether or not to drop you from class. If you are dropped, you may try to “crash” at the next class meeting or try to get into another section of the same class.

Back to top

How do I get my transcripts?

You can request a transcript through the Internet, in person, or by mail.  You can fill out a Transcript Request Form and submit it to the Bursar's Office (the window outside of the SSC building).

(The first two regular service fees are waived.)

Internet processing (1 business day). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $13 per transcript

Regular Service (7-10 business days): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$5 per transcript

Rush Service (48 hours): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $10 per transcript

Back to top

Can I take classes for pass/no pass only?

The decision to change to Pass/No Pass grading must be made by the end of the fourth week of a full semester course or by the first 30% of a short-term course, after which no other evaluative grade may be given.  No faculty signature needed. However, students are advised that four-year schools may limit the number of CR units acceptable for transfer. Major preparatory classes should never be taken on a P/NP basis. ENG 100, 202 and 203 may not be taken as P/NP. In most cases, courses numbered below 100 are ideally suited for the P/NP option. Please see a counselor to find out how this option may affect your educational goals. The change of grading status is not reversible.  Complete the Pass/No Pass form online.

Back to top

Can I repeat a class?

You may repeat a course only under the following conditions:

The course has been identified in the college catalog as repeatable and you have not already taken the course more than three times (including Ws).  OR you are taking the course a second time to alleviate a substandard grade (D, F, FW, or NC/NP), OR you are auditing the course, OR you have a petition approved by the Director of Enrollment Services to take the class again.  Petitions for course repetition are available in the Evaluations Office.  Please consult the college catlog for further information on the annotation of your record in the event of course repetition.

Back to top

What is a full time student?

Full-time students carry a course load of 12 units or more during the fall and spring semesters. During the summer sessions, 6 units is considered full time.  Other programs may have a different definition of full time during the summer sessions.

Back to top

I still have questions.  What do I do?

Make an appointment with a counselor to get your questions answered.  For quick questions, and most questions are not quick, email our Quick Questions Counselor.

Back to top

Hit Counter
Palomar Community College District 1140 West Mission Road, San Marcos, CA 92069-1487 Telephone:  (760) 744-1150