Do you have the
necessary computer skills?
|A good online student
does not need to be a computer whiz, but
does feel comfortable using basic features
of their computer, such as a web browser and
be successful in an online class, you should have the
following technology skills—or be able to call on
someone--like a close friend or family member—who can
Internet Skills—You should know
|use a browser, such as Internet
|use a Search Engine, such as
|create bookmarks (or “favorites”)
within your browser;|
|download files or save the target
of specific URLs;|
|upload files by using simple web
|send and receive email with
|save email attachments on your
|use browser helper programs like
Adobe Acrobat Reader and Microsoft media player.|
Computer & Technical Skills –
You should know how to:
|use a word processor;|
|paste text from a web page or a
word processor document into an email;|
|print materials from the Internet
or from other computer documents;|
|save a document as various file
|create and manage files and
folders on your computer;|
|install software downloaded from
|find files on your hard drive.|
If you feel comfortable with these
basic skills, you will have no problems with the
technical aspects of an online class.
Computer Skills Inventory.
Do the following statements apply to you? If all
or most of them do, you certainly have the technical
skills to take an online class.
- I am comfortable using a
- Keyboarding is easy for me, and I
am usually accurate.
- I know how to print documents
from my computer.
- I know how to use the Internet.
- I know what a URL is.
- I know how to use a search
- I know how to make a bookmark (or
- I am comfortable using email.
- I know how to make an email
- I know how to save an email
attachment to my hard drive.
- I know how to copy files from a
hard drive to a floppy disk, CD or flash drive.
- I know how to make a folder and
save a file in it on my computer.
- I feel comfortable using a word
- I know how to copy and paste text
from one document to another.
- I know how to save a word
processing document in “Rich Text Format” (RTF).
- I know how to download and
install browser plug-in software, like a media
- I have played audio and video
files on the Internet.
- I know what a PDF file is.
- I have used chat and bulletin
boards on the Internet.
- I have used simple web forms.
If you have problems
logging in to our online class gateway,
PCOnline, or if you run
into technical problems while taking your online class,
send email to
online class technical support,
or call ext. 2862 for help.
make the worse use of their time are the first to
complain of its shortness."
de la Bruyere