Foreign Students

If you are in the United States with a visa that allows you to establish residency, then you must demonstrate that you have been physically in California for one year and one day prior to the start of classes and intend to make California your permanent residence.  Follow the link for more information on 1 year and intent.

The following visas can establish residency:

All visas must be valid on the starting day of the semester for which the student is requesting a change in residence status and must be dated at least one year and one day before the start of the semester.

Students who do not currently have a visa, but have applied for a visa that can establish residency at least one year and one day before the start of the semester, may establish residency. Documentation from the USCIS ( United States Citizenship and Immigration Service) must be provided showing the student's name and must be valid. Expired paperwork will not be accepted. The student will also be required to demonstrate one year physical presence and intent.

Examples of USCIS documentation that will demonstrate that a student has applied for residence status:

Students who were not documented at the time of entrance to the United States and have not applied to adjust their immigration status may be eligible for a waiver of non-resident tuition. Please see more information at AB 540 or AB540 in Spanish.

The following Visas cannot establish Residency status for the community college:

B-1, B-2, C-1, C-1D, C-2, C-3, C-4, D-1, D-2, F-1, F-2, F-3, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, J-1, J-2, M-1, M-2, M-3, O-2, O-3, P-1, P-2, P-3, P-4, Q, TN/TD and Out of Status.

Persons with F-1, F-2. J-1 and J-2 visas must contact our foreign student advisor at for information concerning application and admittance to Palomar College.

Visit the International Student Admissions webpage for more information.

Back to Residency