Palomar College is committed to leveraging Prop M funds, when appropriate,
to provide the community with the greatest return on its investment.
In addition, the District participates in a number of programs that
provide guidance and incentives for energy efficiency, conservation,
and an emphasis on sustainable buildings.
Prop M Dollars
Palomar College is leveraging taxpayer dollars by doing the following:
- Expediting projects wherever possible
- Limiting construction cost over-runs
- Recycling / scrap sales of materials and equipment from demolished
buildings (nearly $160K to date).
- Conducting regular E-Auction sales events ($36.5K
earned to date).
- Received a San Diego Gas & Electric “Savings by Design”
award for energy efficiency (the largest award to an educational
institution in San Diego County). - ($131.5K received to date with
another $160K approved).
- Approved by "California Community Colleges Energy
Partnership Program" for various energy savings programs related
to Prop M construction projects (nearly $51K to date).
- Secured approval of State Capital Outlay funds to augment Prop
M for the Library/Learning Resource Center project and the Multi-Disciplinary
Instructional Building project.
- Redistributed computers replaced throughout the District and
donated hundreds of “gently used” computers to local high schools.
- Designing all new and remodeled buildings using the "Leadership
in Energy and Environmental Design" (LEED Certification)
rating systems as the basis for all design, construction, and
operation of new construction and remodeled projects.
District Participation in Energy Design and Savings Programs
The District has an energy savings program that reviews new products
and equipment on a regular basis and implements projects that have
a reasonable payback period. This program has been in place for
the last 23 years and has saved the District hundreds of thousands
of dollars thus far. Some of the programs the District participates
- SDG&E Savings by Design
- SDG&E Sustainable Communities
- Demand Reduction Programs and Methods
- Alternative Energy Supplies